Friday 2 March 2007

Oh Jeepers!

Well, I leave the day after tomorrow and I've just had my FIRST ride on the fully-laden beast. With planning skills like that, I'm glad that I'm not a project manager.

As expected, with the fully packed panniers, camping gear bag, overloaded tank bag and 2x replacement tyres, Naartjie handles like a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. Still, I'm sure that we'll be able to find things to give/throw away as the journey progresses. Just need to avoid buying a carpet in Morocco.

While on the subject of heavily laden motorcycles, I thought I'd take the time to introduce Naartjie properly, as he's my sole travelling companion. Based on the safe belief that the people who design these bikes know best, I've left him as standard as possible. However, I did make just a few tweaks in preparation for this trip. For anyone with an anorakish interest in these things, here's what they are:

Bodywork: Frame and headlight protectors. High mudguard conversion using a conversion kit designed for the KTM 950 Adventure, but which works like a charm. Marvellous SW-Motech rallye bash plate with tool boxes - great for moving some weight down.

Breathing: KTM SXC aluminium sliencer, 162.5 main jet, hardparts airbox screen, needle clip moved to position 4. I left the SLS valve in place as I figured I'd only make a mess of deactivating it.

Suspension: Trying to keep the thing balanced, but able to take a bit more weight, I changed the rear spring to an 8kg/mm one and also replaced the fork springs with 0.50 kg/mm ones. So, overall about 15% stiffer than standard. As the forks are upside-downies, I also fitted some neoprene stanchion protectors to try to keep the seals as clean as possible.

Wheels: Following posts on forums like
Advrider, I changed the standard Behr rims, which are widely thought to be quite soft, with Takasago Excels. While doing this, it was cost-effective to fit some lovely new gold-anodised Talon hubs with stainless spokes, so I did.

Drive train: In the interests on long life, it's steel sprockets all round (std. KTM ones) and a new DID X-ring Gold chain. I've used these chains on all my trips and they've always lasted well.

Other: Not much. GPS mount, filter on carb breather hose, KTM/Touratech alu. lugage system, tank bag.


Anyway, the next time I write it will be from the open road, or at least an internet cafe alongisde the open road. Hope everyone is well. Take care. Andy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Swimmer of the year, bon voyage from yer mates at Carlisle Canoe Club...look forward to seeing you upside down in the Eden over the summer

Anonymous said...

Suggest you stock up with steak canadiens from Samlesbury porta-cafe. May be an alternative to spare tyres.

Anonymous said...

Did you realise that you’re leaving just hours after a lunar eclipse? Not sure if it’s propitious or not. Let me just consult the entrails…

Anonymous said...

Dude, have a great ride, so that's the lightweight bike... not, hope you packed the toilet paper...

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

So your trying to lower the centre of graviy on your bike. What are you doing about the daft big lump riding it????
Good luck on the trip and catch up with you when you get back.

Cheers,

Graham D

Anonymous said...

T'was a poignant moment as you rode out of the garage this a.m. looking like a pregnant land crab. Don't forget that when you hear the inevitable "donnez moi un petit cadeau" you MUST NOT say f*** off!
Have a nice ride......

North Horse said...

Andy,

have just read the technical bit and can only marvel at the amount of preparation you have gone into. It makes popping down the Post Office to get an E111 before my annual Summer jollies seem a bit lightweight.

Gdanga, as Lenny Henry used to say.

Anonymous said...

AB, whilst I'm extremely impressed with the technical effort and planning that has gone on (in your own time no doubt!) - knowing the Andy that has to borrow cash when it is his round at the Canberra, how are you going to manage the first time you have to put your hand in your pocket? Will send red cross parcel of cash and meat pies ahead. Have fun !

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, see you July/August